Wednesday, March 6, 2013

My Dream Team Infield

Ok, before I work on my dream team infield, I want to back up to my last blog and put Jay Bruce into my outfield bench rotation.  He blasted two homeruns yesterday and after meeting him in Arizona two weeks ago, I want to and will become a big fan of his this year.  Not of the Reds obviously, but of Jay!  Btw, I love creating my own rules for my dream fantasy squad; they are a lot more fun than Yahoo’s rules! 
So, now onto my dream infield…
Catcher: Buster Posey:  Posey is a no brainer. I don’t feel like I need to justify this pick.  He is almost worth a first round pick in a normal draft due to the drop off in catcher position after Posey and Yadi.  I am not confident that Mauer will stay healthy all year, and he will most likely take more than usual routine days off.  Plus, he just had twins (makes for a good pun), so he is entering the season sleep deprived no doubt!  Posey is in his prime, coming off a World Series title and will likely outdo his .336 average from last year.  He is a sure bet!
First Base: Prince Fielder: This one is hard for me.  I feel like there used to be a plethora of options at first base, but now I am not so sold on what is out there.  Fielder has been steady the past few seasons and has proved that he is durable to play everyday, so I will take him.  Ultimately it would be great to put Posey at catcher and first since he is eligible for both in Yahoo, but a man can’t be in two places at once.  I also am really tempted to say Eric Hosmer here.  I know that sounds a little out there, but he is killing it this spring and I feel a big year coming on for him!  And he is joining the USA team at the World Baseball Classic which is a classy act!  When it comes to first, I am just not confident that Pujols or Votto can stay healthy all year.
Second Base: Ian Kinsler:  It is REALLY hard for me not to plug Cano in here, but Kinsler has been in that corner for me the past three years and is one of my favorite players.  This is definitely an emotional pick; I am worried about his health but can’t find it in me to replace him on Kung Foo Panda.  ‘Nuf said.  I like him and am proud of it!!! And hey, there were whispers about him picking up some time at first, so maybe down the road, he will be eligible for both, thus a good plug in player. 
Shortstop: Jimmy Rollins: J. Roll is going to have a big year.  The Phillies need him to be a leader, both in the batting order and in the clubhouse.  I just have a feeling that he is going to raise his average of .250 from last year significantly.  This position is a weak one fantasy wise, so this is where I am going to rely on my boys to pick up the slack!! 
Third Base: Miguel Cabrera: I feel like my infield is becoming a little generic but how can I pass up the Triple Crown winner and captain of my squad last year.  He carried us!  And I fully expect him to keep it up.  Plus, he can also play first if need be in a pinch so maybe down the pipeline he will become muliti-base eligible.  Third base is where it’s at this year in my opinion.  The options are stellar… Brett Lawrie, Kung Foo himself, David Freese.  These are all favorites of mine.  I wish Kung Foo was still fantasy eligible for catcher!!  Worst third base option in my opinion: AROD, that is if he even plays again.  NOT A FAN!!
Utility: I am going to use this position to plug in some favorites that I had to pass up previously.  I could go on and on, but names on my laundry list here that I haven’t already mentioned include: Mike Moustakas, Manny Machado, Mark Trumbo, Juan Pierre (because he is the most undervalued player in the game), CHOOOCH (despite his 25 game suspension).
And I will stop here before this becomes a list of my favorite players, which I have already made clear in a previous blog.  Again, I love comments, disagreements, agreements so feel free to give me a shout out with your thoughts!!   Next up, putting some studs on the bump and filling up a bullpen… 
-CL

No comments:

Post a Comment